A house flower called a sheffler has a highly decorative appearance, but non-compliance with growing technology, as well as negative external factors can provoke not only the emergence of diseases in the plant, but also its death. That is why, in order to maintain the decorative qualities and plant health, it is necessary to carry out regular inspections and strictly observe the agrotechnics of flower cultivation in conditions of home floriculture.
Schiffler disease due to improper care
For room shefflers, not only direct sunlight is harmful, but also strong soil moisture and low air humidity, and violation of the growing regime very often becomes the main cause of damage to an ornamental plant by diseases.
The plant stretches too much
The stem part becomes very high, and the foliage is spaced at large intervals, which gives the aerial part of the decorative culture an unattractive appearance. As a rule, this situation is observed at high temperature conditions and in insufficient lighting. In this case, it is recommended to rearrange the flower pot with the shefflera to a more lighted place and lower the room temperature by several degrees.
How to save a sheffler
If the foliage from the shefflers crumbles and the decorative type of culture disappears, then you need to pay attention to the temperature regime in the room with the frequency of irrigation activities. Most often, foliage falls off due to problems associated with low or too high temperatures, as well as dry soil in a flower pot.
For proper development, a houseplant needs a moderate warm room with a temperature in the range of 18-22aboutC. In addition, it is recommended to water the ornamental culture to the sheffler, if necessary, without waterlogging or overdrying the soil.
Leaf shefflera fades or turns yellow
Changing leaf staining is not always a sign of illness.Therefore, before making hasty conclusions and starting treatment with chemical preparations, it is necessary to revise the qualitative composition and indicators of soil nutrition in a flower pot. The introduction of complex fertilizers most often allows you to solve this problem in a fairly short time. It is important to remember that high-quality feeding of shefflers at the stage of active growth processes is especially important.
Among other things, faded foliage results from insufficient lighting, which is especially true for variegated varieties and species. Only the presence of sufficiently bright but scattered light allows you to get a plant with saturated green foliage.
Stains on foliage
Excessive irrigation measures, supplemented by insufficiently high temperature conditions in the room can cause the appearance of dark spots on a sheet plate. Too wet soil in a flower pot provokes root rot, the first sign of which are spots. In the next stages of the defeat, the foliage blackens and gradually dies. In this case, the soil and root system are treated with Shefflers "Fitosporin" or "Trichodermin".
Brown Canvas on Foliage
Insufficient humidity and the negative effects of drafts are the main reasons for the loss of a decorative appearance by a houseplantas well as the appearance of characteristic brown edges on the foliage. If the situation is not timely taken under control, then the foliage falls, and the plant can be very difficult to save and as a result, it can die.
Excessive dryness of the air in the room can cause the tips of the leaves to dry out and severe leaf curl. Despite the fact that indoor shefflers do not tolerate waterlogging of the soil, spraying the aerial parts of the plant is one of the main activities in the cultivation of a tropical flower in indoor floriculture.
Beginning flower growers often encounter a situation where the decorative culture is developing too slowly and does not grow at all. In this case, it is advisable to reconsider the location of the plant, as well as provide it with the highest quality care. It is important to remember that at the dormant stage, the sheffler should not be fed, and irrigation measures should be reduced without fail.
Fungal and viral diseases infect indoor sheffler relatively rarely. However, it is necessary to correctly determine the pathogen, and also use the most effective means to destroy pathogenic microflora. It should be noted that the easiest way to get rid of a fungal infection, and viral and bacterial diseases are treated for a long time and is difficult.
How to care for a shefflera
The main pests shefflers
If the plant quickly loses decorative appeal, then the cause may be pests that most often damage indoor flowers weakened by improper care:
- defeat room shefflers most often observed when grown in rooms with excessive air dryness. As a rule, scale insects affect the plant in winter or spring, when the plant is weakened as much as possible. In this case, it is necessary to process the aerial parts of the plant with Aktara, Bankol, Aktellik, Fitoferm, Fufanon or Permetrin, and then adjust the humidity indicators in the room;
- aphid able to cause deformation of young stems, so the plant quickly loses decorative characteristics and becomes unattractive. To combat aphids, you can use folk remedies in the form of infusion of garlic or onions, but with a massive lesion, chemical treatment with insecticides is required;
- cyclamen mites outwardly resemble dust particles, but their mass accumulation on the plant causes folding of leaves. Excess moisture contributes to the defeat, so it is important to adjust the indicators of soil moisture and the level of humidity. The removal of a plant parasite is most often carried out mechanically, by means of a sponge moistened in a soap-alcohol solution;
- spider mites appear on a sheffler with increased air dryness. With a massive lesion, a cobweb forms in the internodes, and the foliage becomes sluggish and falls off. You can destroy the pest with a soapy sponge and a warm shower. A good result is given by spraying with a 0.15% solution of Actellik;
- the appearance of thrips contributes to high temperature conditions with low humidity. With a lesion, light spots appear on the upper part of the foliage, and the leaves acquire a gray-brown color. The affected plant must be treated with Fitoverm, Decis, Actellik or Intervir.
Compliance with the basic rules for the care of shefflera significantly reduces the risk of damage to decorative indoor culture by plant parasites.
Tips & Tricks
According to most amateur gardeners, who have been cultivating a sheffler for many years under indoor floriculture, this ornamental plant is not whimsical to care for, but nevertheless some conditions must be observed. Despite the fact that the indoor sheffler does not tolerate drafts, with a conditioner in the room, the plant develops much faster and better.
In the summer, in extreme heat, it is imperative to spray indoor plants at least once a day. Water for irrigation and spraying should be soft enough, and if necessary, wipe the foliage with a damp cloth. In addition, in order to maintain a comfortable soil moisture level, it is advisable to place a flower pot with a room shefflera on a large pallet, which must be filled with well-moistened expanded clay.
How to get rid of scale insects
Also, according to the observations of experienced gardeners, an excess of sunlight often leads to the appearance of ugly light spots on the foliage, and lack of lighting is the main reason for the dimming of the aerial part of the variegated shefflera. Strict adherence to the regime of proper irrigation measures, ensuring optimal illumination, as well as a comfortable level of temperature and humidity, allows the decorative culture to ensure normal growth and preservation of decorativeness, regardless of the age of the plant or the growing season.