How nice it is to put pickles prepared in the summer on the table in winter! Salting of cabbage usually occurs in the summer, but you can also do this in spring and autumn. In order to properly and tasty pickle this vegetable at home, you need to know a few secrets. The most interesting recipes will be described step by step in this article.
Salting crisp cabbage for the winter: a delicious recipe in brine
Salt this vegetable for the winter is recommended in the summer. Cabbage with heads of cabbage is stored in glass jars. It’s easy to cook. The recipe is quite simple and if you follow it, then you can quickly make a very delicious salting, which in the cold season is enjoyed with forks.
Products for this will need the following:
- About 3 kg of white cabbage (1 kg of vegetable goes for 1 kg jar).
- Bay leaf (several sheets).
- Allspice, better peas (not necessary, but if you want to get a dish sharper, then you can’t do without pepper).
- 2 tablespoons of sugar and salt (iodized salt is not recommended).
- Water for brine (for 3 kg of vegetable goes 1.5 liters of water).
The recipe includes the following items:
- Cabbage will be made in brine, so you first need to cook it. In a saucepan with boiling water, you need to dissolve the salt and sugar. After this, it must be left to cool.
- The vegetable is peeled from the upper leaves and cut into plates. If desired, you can cut it into small pieces. To make it crispy, you can lightly sprinkle it with vinegar and add a little salt.
- After that, you can begin to ram the chopped vegetable into cans, but do not be too zealous, because you need to leave room for liquid. Then pepper is put in the jar.
- Pour the vegetable better with hot brine, which was prepared in advance, but has not yet had time to cool. You must definitely try the marinade before pouring. Firstly, to make sure that it was not cold, and secondly, to check its sweet and sour taste. If the taste is not saturated enough, you can add more spices.
- How much should cabbage be infused? Answer: a day or two days. In any case, it should be infused for at least 24 hours. Only after that cans be rolled up.
Sauerkraut for the winter
Salting cabbage with carrots at home
This is perhaps the simplest classic recipe for summer pickles. In this way, you get a delicious crispy salad with carrots and cabbage, which you can eat at any time of the year.
- Cabbage (2 to 3 kg).
- A few large carrots (there should be more cabbage in this salad than carrots).
- Black pepper (peas).
- Sugar, salt (1.5 tablespoons each).
- A little vinegar.
You can also make this salad with beets.
- First, you need to wash and peel the vegetables. Cutting them in large large pieces is not recommended. It is best to use a combine to grind them. But if it is not, then you can use a grater.
- Now you should take a separate container, pour the chopped vegetables there and mix them with spices and vinegar.
If the salad is not planned to roll up in jars, then the container must be covered with gauze. Vegetables are infused for a day, after which you need to decant the liquid. This is where the cooking ends.
How to pickle cabbage with slices?
- Cabbage (it is recommended to take a cinquefoil).
- Salt (a couple of spoons).
- Sugar (half a glass).
- Vegetable oil (half a glass).
- Vinegar (half a glass).
- Garlic (several heads).
- Cabbage needs to be washed and cut into large pieces of square shape. Similarly, it is worth doing with other vegetables, beets and carrots.
- Then a brine is made. Spices are dissolved in a container with boiling water.
- Vegetables are stacked tightly at the bottom of the glass jars. You can chop the cabbage in advance with garlic. If this is not done, then it should be finely chopped and spread with other vegetables.
Now the cooled brine, oil and vinegar are poured into the jar. This is the last cooking step.
How to salt cabbage with apples?
Apples make an amazing salad! So what foods should be prepared?
- White cabbage.
- Bay leaf.
Vegetables and fruits must be taken in equal proportions. The standard amount of these ingredients is half a kg each.
Now you can start salting:
- You need to chop the apples, carrots and cabbage with the help of a combine. If this is not possible, then you need to take a grater. Optionally, apples can not be grated, but cut into cubes. Thus less juice will flow out of them and the salad will have a sweetish aftertaste.
- Now you can begin to ram the mass into cans. The first layer is cabbage with carrots, the second is apples. In each container should be put one bay leaf.
- The juice should ferment in the jar for at least 7 days. Every day it is recommended to pierce the contents of the can with a wooden skewer or a long match so that the gases formed during fermentation escape.
On the eighth day, the salad will be ready. You can store it in the refrigerator.
Which cabbage is better to choose for salting?
Question: "What kind of cabbage should I choose for salting?" It worries many housewives who do not want to face the dirt. Everyone wants to cook a delicious pickle from this vegetable, so it is important to understand the rules of his choice.
Pickles are recommended to be made from late varieties of cabbage. Why? Yes, because this way the dish will turn out strong, with a preserved structure. The standard choice falls on the grade "Glory", this is a white-vegetable. It makes good winter salting.
How to choose the right cabbage?
- The first thing you should pay attention to before buying this vegetable is its head of cabbage. In no case should it be loose! When pressed, the head should crunch a little. This is an indicator of the freshness of the vegetable.
- Also, attention should be paid to the stump. It should be tight and juicy.
Fresh cabbage near a head of cabbage will always have green leaves.
Express recipe for pickling cabbage for the winter
What does express recipe mean? Answer: this is the fastest way to cook. There is such a method for cabbage pickling and it will be described below.
Products for express recipe:
- White cabbage.
- Salt, sugar.
- To begin with, the vegetable must be prepared. Preparation includes removing the upper leaves of cabbage and washing it. Then the vegetable should be cut into small pieces in order to throw them into a combine and grind. Alternative: the vegetable is rubbed on a medium grater.
- Sprout the cabbage mass with vinegar. Now you can do the marinade.
- In a pan with boiled water, you need to dissolve the spices. You can also add a bay leaf.
Cabbage is lowered into sterilized glass jars and poured with brine. You can roll up cans almost immediately, without waiting for the marinade to cool.
Cabbage with beets for the winter
With a little effort in the summer, you and your family can be delighted with a delicious harvest in the winter. In addition to amazing taste, this blank contains a whole treasure of useful vitamins that will support the body and help it withstand harsh winter viruses.